I have been working continuously since the age 16. My first job was working for Six Flags, including the embarrassing khakis and all. My family, particularly my dad, has always taught me the importance of a good work ethic. I was always taught I should make my own money and not rely on others to sustain myself. As much as this idea has shaped me into successful a position, this has also created a weird relationship I have with money. Its created a concept that money is a form of self-love or giving love. I don't want to go to extreme and say money doesn't matter because we all know we need a pinch of that to get by in the world, but I think we need more of a balance as a collective.

Corporate America has money at the center of all conversations. It has created an entire government that is solely seeking the monetary value in every move it makes, rather than the way it will affect the nation. Even programs that are supposedly in place to protect us, have lobbyist working in favor of these mega-corporations that are poisoning not only our bodies, but our minds and values. Corporate America is self-centered and self-serving. It does not care about the employees, it only cares how it is going to increase it's bottom line (even if they are already making billions in revenue each year). 

I used to have some level of trust in the corporate world. It seemed to be a solid, safe way to ensure I have an income because I have those taught values of working hard and moving up the ladder, so to speak. I have put forth most of my energy for companies, put some of my idealistic dreams on hold, because I needed to secure my income. I have always cared about how some of my actions may affect the company or other co-workers (i.e., calling in sick, taking a vacation, going on break to eat even when it was pretty busy). 

Now, I find myself in a situation where I have been punished and outcast-ed by Corporate America because I was too considerate. With my big move to Europe, I wanted to give them ample notice to find my replacement and to avoid additional cost out of their pocket for a trip to corporate. About 3 weeks ago, I provided a notice that my last day would be March 28, 2018. The company and human resources decided it was best for the company to separate, even though they do not have my replacement. They simply decided to ignore my resignation notice because they apparently couldn't bear to fork out another few thousand dollars in salary and commission. Let's keep in mind this is a $5.7 billion dollar office I worked for (this revenue does not include their other locations). How dare they keep me as a resource for a few more months while they find someone to hire! (Sense the sarcasm here...)

With this shortened but still long-winded version of the story, I want to offer my advice to anyone who is in a corporate position, who longs to follow that dream, whatever it may be - but you need this current job to sustain yourself until you do. 

Don't tell anyone about your potential resignation date

This includes your work BFF, the janitor, Susan in the other department. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT speak of it! I told some of my co-workers, who were and still are very supportive of my decision to move overseas. However, they knew that information and it caused me to feel some-what pinned in a corner to tell my boss ASAP because of the potential effects my resignation would have with appointments, corporate visits, etc. I totally support making friends at work, but big things that may affect your job - such as moving, I would recommend keeping on the down-low. 

Always only give a 2 week notice

You don't owe them anything more than that! Regardless if only giving 2 weeks may put them in a tough situation, it will never be able to negatively hinder your employment in the future. This puts you in a good situation because if they decide to disregard your notice, you will only be out of work for 2 weeks. Always make sure you have everything set up before you give the notice, too.

Remember you are replaceable 

You replaced someone before you. Your employer will find someone else. I know this may be a hard thing to hear, but its true. This should help alleviate some pressure, though. The company will and should be able to find someone within weeks after your notice.

You are 100% responsible for your happiness

Life is too short to stifle yourself because of fear - fear of disappointing someone or fear of failure. Fear is always going to be there, but that should never prevent you from following your gut. Traveling is not something people think of on a whim, from my experience. Most of us have felt the travel bug, so-to-speak, for long enough to know its been a dream of ours. Give yourself a chance.